Pasta and courgetti with super kale pesto
Pasta and pesto is a healthy quick meals that’s perfect for busy days in the week when you’re short of time. Made with kale, this version boasts great flavour. Kale is also a nutrient dense food full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Makes 1-2 Serving
2 cups (200g) gluten free spaghetti, gluten free pasta of choice or courgetti
1/3 cup (85g) pine nuts, toasted
(Alternatively you can swap the pine nuts for walnuts)
2 cups (85g) kale
2/3 cup (85g) Parmesan (grated) and a little more for serving
1/3 cup (75ml) extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup (75ml) garlic infused olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
1. Bring a large pan of water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until ‘al dente’.
2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, add the pine nuts or walnuts to a frying pan (no oil needed) and toast on medium heat for a few minutes until golden brown. Put a few pine nuts or walnuts aside for garnish when serving.
2. Put the rest of the pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, oils, kale and lemon juice in a food processor and whizz to a smooth paste.
4. Drain the pasta and place in a serving dish.
3. Stir 2-3 tablespoons of pesto through the pasta and top it with the remaining pine nuts or walnuts and some Parmesan.
4. Put the remaining pesto in an airtight container or jar adding a little bit of extra olive oil to cover the surface. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week or you can freeze it for up to a month.